Data, statistics, and public information
We are committed to proactively releasing information about the Provincial Growth Fund, and funding decisions. As careful stewards of public money, we recognise the importance of keeping you informed and engaged about the work we do.
Confidentiality and commercial sensitivity
Some information we hold can't be released, because we need to protect confidential and commercial information.
Information we can't release includes:
- Proposals that have been declined on the grounds of commercial sensitivity. Advising that that they had been declined may compromise the ability of the project to attract funding from other sources in the future.
- Proposals that have been agreed, but not yet announced. This is because contract negotiations are underway. Releasing material before we announce the project risks compromising contract negotiations.
- Proposals that have been announced, but not yet contracted on the grounds that contract negotiations are still underway. Releasing this material before announcement risks compromising contract negotiations.
- All information related to loan details to ensure that the PDU’s ability to negotiate is not prejudiced.
- All projects still under active consideration.
- The Provincial Growth Fund [PDF 247KB]
- Operational design of the Tuawhenua Provincial Growth Fund [PDF 394KB]
- Further decisions on the Provincial Growth Fund [PDF 966KB]
- Provincial Growth Fund Investment in Skills and Infrastructure [PDF 1MB]
- West Coast Tourism Investment Package [PDF 1.4MB]
- Unlocking Tairāwhiti's Economic Potential - Tairāwhiti Roading Package [PDF 2.2MB]
- Provincial Growth Fund — Unlocking Underutilised Whenua Maori [PDF 831KB]
- Provincial Growth Fund — Report Back March 2019 [588KB PDF]
- Provincial Growth Fund — Report Back October 2018 [PDF 1.3MB]
- Prime Ministers' Provincial Growth Fund Waitangi 2019 announcements at Otamatea Marae and Kaikohe [PDF 2MB]
- Background points for the Prime Minister’s Waitangi 2019 announcements [PDF 680KB]
- Kaipara Package Briefing [PDF 3.2MB]
- Local Digital Connectivity Regional Digital Hubs and Marae Connectivity Briefing - 18 February 2019 [PDF 1.3MB]
- Local Digital Connectivity Regional Digital Hubs and Marae Connectivity Briefing - 24 January 2019 [PDF 1.8MB]
- Assessing the Impacts of the Provincial Growth Fund - June 2019 [PDF 578KB]
Regional Growth Programme evaluation
The following evaluation was developed for the Regional Growth Programme in 2017.
The template terms and conditions of the Development Phase Grant Funding Agreement (to be used for PGF Express projects and Development Phase Projects over $100,000) will apply to the provision of grant funding agreed between MBIE and the Recipient.
Release of review
On 20 April 2018 the Provincial Development Unit released the review into its due diligence processes in relation to the approval of a Provincial Growth Fund grant for a Waste to Energy project.
Governance and decision-making
Regional economic ministers, senior regional officials, and the Independent Advisory Panel meet regularly to discuss and decide on proposals. We are in the process of releasing papers from these meetings.
We have developed investment principles for areas of priority investment to help applicants and decision-makers when preparing or assessing applications.
These are described in a series of position papers which set out the objective of PGF investment, principles and investment priorities. They define our approach to investments required to address social and infrastructure deficits, and to support sector investments that align with regional priorities.
We will publish each of these papers as they are developed and agreed to.
Released position papers
Provincial Growth Fund Position Paper: Tier 2: Sector
Provincial Growth Fund position paper: Digital connectivity and the Provincial Growth
Provincial Growth Fund position paper: Energy and the
Provincial Growth Fund position paper: Economic development
Provincial Growth Fund position paper: Land
Provincial Growth Fund position paper: Water
Provincial Growth Fund Position Paper: Waste
Provincial Growth Fund position paper: Feasibility and Business
Official Information Act requests
See the MBIE website for our published responses to requests made under the Official Information Act.
Written parliamentary questions
Written questions in parliament are one of the most important methods for making sure the Government is doing its job.
You can read questions about the Provincial Development Unit, and their answers, on the Parliament website.
Projects and their status
We've prepared this list of projects, their status, and other facts that are often asked for in Parliament.
Expected job creation
The information is split into the following categories:
- Projects approved and announced
- Feasibility studies, approved and announced. Note the Provincial Development Unit has assumed that each feasibility study will immediately create one job at a minimum.
- The total of expected job numbers for projects and feasibility studies approved but not announced.
After contracts are negotiated and projects commence, the Provincial Development Unit requests information from applicants including immediate jobs created and sustained employment. This information will be reported on a quarterly basis as part of our approach to proactively releasing information and will include the number of direct and indirect jobs created.
Regional economic development weekly reports
Find our weekly reports to ministers on MBIE's reports page: