PGF invests in the Top of the South
Published: Apr 26, 2019 · Updated: Aug 2, 2019
- News and announcements
- Top of the South/Te Tau Ihu
The Provincial Growth Fund will support the Top of the South to unite behind a single economic growth strategy and deliver a significant boost to the region’s ocean economy.
The Provincial Growth Fund (PGF) will invest almost $7 million in the Top of the South’s ocean economy and also support the first economic growth strategy for all communities in the wider region. The announcements were made by MP Mark Patterson on behalf of Under-Secretary for Regional Economic Development Fletcher Tabuteau.
Future development of the region’s ocean economy will be supported by a $6.4 million PGF investment in the following projects:
- $6 million to help establish a National Algae Centre in Nelson (Cawthron Institute)
- Up to $252,000 to investigate an upgrade to Port Tarakohe (Tasman District Council)
- $95,000 towards a business case for a regional artificial intelligence facility (Nelson Artificial Intelligence Institute)
- $99,000 towards a business case for the Marlborough Sounds Smart Services Deployment project (Marlborough District Council)
Under-Secretary Tabuteau said that around 70% of New Zealand’s aquaculture industry was located in the region, making it well-placed to be a global leader in growing the ocean economy.
The PGF will also support the development of the 2077 Te Tauihu Strategy with a $434,980 investment. Wakatū Incorporation is leading the development of the 2077 Te Tau Ihu strategy on behalf of Nelson City Council, Tasman District Council, Marlborough District Council, eight Iwi of the region, and local business.