Understand how we protect your privacy on this website.
Purpose and scope
The purpose of this privacy statement is to let users of this website, growregions.govt.nz, know what information we may collect, when we may collect it and what we may do with it.
Grow Regions is a website published by Kānoa – Regional Economic Development & Investment Unit (Kānoa – RDU). Kānoa – RDU is a part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
Collection, storage and use
You may view this website without disclosing any personal information.
Voluntary disclosure of personal information
You may choose to voluntarily provide personal information to us through this website — for example, when contacting our regional advisors. This information will be viewable by site administrators, MBIE staff, and third-party contractors who may administrate or work on the site.
Holding of information
When you provide personal information, it will be held by MBIE. It may be stored or accessed on behalf of MBIE by authorised third parties, such as third-party contractors, to the extent that is necessary — for example, for them to administer or work on the site. We will store and keep it secure in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020, and any agents will be subject to MBIE’s information security and privacy requirements.
Disclosure of information
MBIE will generally not share personal information that is provided or collected through this website, unless:
- you've given us consent to share it, or
- it's necessary to do so for the purpose for which you gave us the information — for example, to process your funding application.
MBIE will not otherwise disclose personal information provided or collected through this website, unless required or otherwise permitted by law.
MBIE may also be required to disclose information under the Official Information Act 1982 or to a Parliamentary Select Committee or Parliament in response to a Parliamentary Question.
Use of personal information
We will generally only use personal information provided to us through this website for the purpose you provided it — for example, to administer, evaluate and improve the site, to improve our services, or to respond to the information provided.
We may also use personal information provided to us through this website for other reasons permitted under the Privacy Act — for example, with your consent, for a directly related purpose, or where the law otherwise permits or requires it.
Records and retention of personal information
MBIE will only retain personal information as long as it is required for the purposes for which the information may lawfully be used.
Where any information provided through this site — which may include personal information — constitutes public records, it will be retained to the extent required by the Public Records Act 2005.
Rights to access and correct information
You have the right to:
- find out from us whether we hold personal information about you
- access that information, and
- if applicable, request corrections to that information
If MBIE has a good reason for refusing a request for correction, you're entitled to request that a statement be attached to the information of the correction that was sought but not made.
If you want to check personal information that we hold, please write to:
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 5488
For more information on the privacy laws in New Zealand and contact details for the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, please visit the Privacy Commissioner's website.
You can browse this website without having to disclose any personal data. However, we may collect statistical information about your visit to help us analyse usage and improve the website. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- your IP address
- the search terms you used
- the pages you accessed on our site and the links you clicked on
- the date and time you visited the site
- the referring site (if any) from which you clicked to reach this site
- the device you used to access the site
- your operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Mac OS X)
- the type of web browser you use (e.g. Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
- other things — such as your screen resolution, the release of your installed Flash version, and the language setting of your browser.
- is viewable by website administrators and certain other MBIE staff
- may also be shared with other government agencies
- may be used for statistical or research purposes, but won't be published in a form that could reasonably be expected to identify you.
MBIE websites have security measures in place to prevent the loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control. In order to maintain the security of our systems and information, MBIE systems are subject to ongoing monitoring (including activity logging), analysis and auditing.
We may use information about your use of our websites and other IT systems to prevent unauthorised access or attacks on these systems or to resolve such events. We may use this information even if you're not involved in such activity.
We may use services from one or more third-party suppliers to monitor or maintain the security of its systems and information. These third party suppliers will have access to monitoring and logging information, as well as information processed on MBIE websites and other IT systems.